BRIEF: Student shares her talent of playing the piano

Greg Lee

Katherine Lee plays the piano on the Kennedy Center Millennium Stage.

Maya Subramanian, Staff Writer

When she is not swimming or playing lacrosse, spending time with friends and family or excelling in school, sophomore Katherine Lee can likely be found playing the piano, as she works diligently to perfect her craft. Lee has won many titles and awards on the regional, state and national levels, and her talent is highlighted at the numerous performances she partakes in each year.

Music has been a large part of my life ever since I was young,” Lee said. “I like playing the piano because it allows me to express myself through the music, and I love being able to create art and tell a story through my playing.

Lee’s talent has developed over the years to the point where it has become a passion, rather than a hobby. She takes the activity seriously, and this enables her to accomplish everything that she puts her mind to.

I think I’ve been able to accomplish so much in piano because of how passionate I am about it,” Lee said. “It is really important to me that I’m always trying my best to achieve the goals that I set for myself.

Lee’s hard work surely pays off; she has been titled the number one pianist in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Indiana and Illinois, as well as being the 2015 International Young Artist Piano Competition winner.

“Through my titles, I have gotten the opportunities to perform at venues like Carnegie Hall, JFK Center of Performing Arts and Albion College,” Lee said.

In the future, Lee hopes to continue playing the piano, as its positive influence on her life has made it worthwhile.

“Piano has greatly raised my confidence level,” Lee said. “I’m sure that I am going to keep playing for a very long time.”