Our Girls Varsity Basketball team has had a great season this year, having played many tough teams and won some hard battles. The team had districts against the Romeo Bulldogs. They had a lot of preparation to do for the hard teams coming up. One of the things they do to prepare for a good team is watching film and pointing out important things in the team that they need to work on so they can win. Coach Thurston is the varsity head coach and he has a big game plan to win this game. The game was on Wednesday the 6th, they had a lot of practice before the game so they could get all of their plays ready and defenses to win.

This first district game was Adams against Eisenhower. It was a very hard battle and Adams beat them in overtime. The day that the varsity played their first district game, Stoney and Adams played right before. Stoney beat Adams, so the players knew that they had to step up their game because during their season they lost to Stoney twice, so this time they had to beat them. Our Varsity Basketball team had been watching film to figure out Romeo’s good players and their skill level so they could beat them. It was game day!! The starters for our team were very nervous because they wanted to beat Romeo so they could play Stoney Creek and hopefully beat them. Our varsity team does the same warm-ups and goals for the team. The team would also think of a word that is special, their word was NOW! The Seniors picked the word, they would write it on a piece of tape and tape it to all of the players’ ankles. This was a really important part because they wanted everyone to know what the word was. They would all huddle up and everyone would share their goals. 

Taylor Parsons is a sophomore at Rochester High School and a starter on varsity. The goals that she shares are very personal and everyone on the team loves them. She takes her goals to heart and puts a lot of thought into them. During the huddle, Parsons shared her personal goal, “this whole season has been a journey, so tonight my goal is to play my own game and play for everything I’ve been working towards this season and put it all out in this game. I am going to work hard and never give up.” After she shared her personal goals, she shared her team goal which was “nothing is promised from here on out, so tonight we play for another day together as a team. Work hard and leave no regrets”. Parsons always says her famous quote when she shares her goals, “we didn’t wake up to be mediocre”. The game was starting soon and everyone was very nervous because they wanted to win to play against Stoney Creek. The game was a very tough battle and Rochester won 37-29! Everyone was so excited, they knew that they could win because they believed in their team. 

The next few days were practices to get ready for the district playoffs. They had Stoney Creek on Friday the 8th so they had to prepare themselves for one of their seniors who is an amazing shooter and drives the ball to the basket a lot. It was game day and all the players on Rochester shared their goals like normally and then taped the same word NOW to their ankle. There was a lot of nerve in this game because if they lost then they would be out of the bracket. The first quarter wasn’t their best but they made up some ground and caught up to Stoney, the second quarter they stayed tight to Stoney Creek the whole time. It was halftime and they were talking about the things they needed to fix. They also talked about Stoney Creek’s good players, Coach Thurston was saying they needed to guard the better plays so they can’t score. The third quarter went well. The fourth quarter was where everyone was getting nervous and excited because Rochester was in the lead. The end was coming close. Rochester varsity had a tough loss but their season was good and everyone was sad it was over.