The Benefits of Maintaining Routines

The Benefits of Maintaining Routines

Over the last few years, I’ve fallen in and out of routines. Some of them didn’t last, but others were really beneficial. Recently, I’ve focused on maintaining good habits and it’s truly impacted my life for the better. Routine is defined by Merriam-Webster Dictionary as “a regular course of procedure.” As a student, routines are the most prominent when it comes to studying. However, I appreciate having a set way to spend my mornings, consistent skincare, and a calming way to wind down in the evening. Sticking to a routine long-term provides motivation, productivity, and a feeling of accomplishment. 

Many students at RHS have routines implemented in their daily life. Freshman Ciera Hanson explains, “Routines are something that I can fall back on if I feel like I’m getting out of it. Especially with school, I feel a lot more organized when I have them in place.” Her routines have given her comfort and a more productive use of her time. 

Freshman Nisha Misra’s routines help her to “know what’s coming, so [she doesn’t] worry about feeling overwhelmed.” Her experience with them has generally been positive and she recommends trying one out. 

Senior Avery Fraser shared that she appreciates “[knowing her] schedule so that if [she] needs to tweak anything, [she] can.” 

On the flip side, freshman Weston Good thinks that “routines are too hard to follow,” so he wouldn’t consider trying to start one. However, most interviewed students partake or are at least interested in maintaining routines.  

So what are the real benefits of having routines? The National Library of Medicine reveals that they are a direct link to healthier lifestyles. For one thing, they provide encouragement to exercise more often. They also help people maintain a healthier diet. By making a specific time to eat, you’ll find yourself less likely to accidentally skip meals. Not only do routines have a positive impact physically, but they’re also incredibly beneficial to mental well-being. They help reduce unnecessary stress, promote self-discipline, and can even boost self-confidence. Scheduling time to do specific things can also increase gratitude and appreciation for every moment of the day, which inevitably leads to a more positive mindset. 

So, how do you create your own routine? Well, it starts with being honest with yourself. Can you really wake up earlier and still feel well-rested? Are you spending an excessive amount of time mindlessly scrolling? Sometimes I’ll claim that I don’t have enough time to do something when truthfully, I’ve just spent the day doing unnecessary things. Once you’ve recognized what’s realistic, you can use your time more thoughtfully. If the goal of a personal routine is increased studying productivity, it’s important to find a time when there will be no distractions present. Once this time is established, break it down even further. Which subject do you like least? Start with that! It’ll leave you feeling accomplished and ready to tackle subjects you’re more comfortable with. Give yourself small breaks and rewards after reaching goals like a snack, a few minutes spent on social media, or anything else that you enjoy. This will create a positive association with finishing difficult tasks. Once you’ve created a plan for a routine, the most important thing is to stick to it. It might be hard at first but whether it’s clear skin, good grades, or a good night of sleep the final result will be incredibly rewarding. 

If you have any interest in creating a routine, there’s no reason to not try it out. Even if it doesn’t end up working out immediately, it’s a good idea to give it some time before coming to a complete quit. The evidence backing routines’ benefits outweigh any initial reluctance to commit to one. Many students at RHS, including myself, have found routines to be really valuable to their success in school and life. Ultimately, routines are a great way to achieve goals and find appreciation for every minute of the day.