New Year’s Resolutions

Photo Courtesy of Jade Mclellan

Makenzie Paul, Managing Editor

As the new year begins, so does the annual tradition of New Year’s resolutions. Though they typically don’t last for long, resolutions can provide motivation and growth to those who follow them. Resolutions come in all different forms, ranging from vision boards to a written goal. If you’re looking for inspiration for your 2023 resolution, here are some examples from Rochester students and staff.

“My first new year’s resolution is to eat healthier,” Assistant Principal Mrs. Pasquale says, “but that’s kind of basic so my second is to be more patient.”

“I want to spend more time with family and friends,” sophomore Riley Simpson says. “Everyone says that but I’m hoping to follow through this year.”

Vision boards are another not-so-common form of resolutions. They are typically composed of various pictures and quotes pasted on a board in an aesthetic manner as a form of inspiration. Usually people hang them somewhere where they can be easily reminded of their goals for the new year.

“To me vision boards are a way to think about what you want in 2023 and make it a part of your life,” says senior Jade Mclellan. “It’s a form of inspiration.”

Mclellan’s vision board features various images ranging from self care to concert inspiration. She plans to put the board up next to her bed so it is visible every morning when she wakes. While these boards are time consuming to make, they are a great way to gain motivation and try new things in the new year.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, there are some who oppose the tradition of new year’s resolutions entirely. These are the people who don’t think they work or just never set one to follow through with.

“I never follow through with mine so I just stopped making one,” sophomore Lily Lalonde added. “I don’t think they really work because you have to have so much dedication to continue it.”

Whether you choose to follow them or not, New Year’s resolutions are here to stay and ring in every new year.