Four ways to have fun at home over Spring Break

Marcella Hanna, Staff Writer

No travel plans for Spring Break? No problem! Here are four fun things to do while you’re bored at home this April.

1. Make a mug cake

With this recipe from Buzzfeed Tasty, all you need is 4 tablespoons of flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of sprinkles (plus more for topping), ½ a teaspoon of baking powder, 3 tablespoons of milk, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Mix it all together in a mug, microwave for 90 seconds and then top it with any frosting of your choice. You can get any of the ingredients at your local grocery store.

Student Opinion: “[Mug cakes] taste so so good and give you something to do so you don’t get bored,” freshman Shelby Gibson said. “Plus, they’re super easy and quick to make since they take barely 10 minutes.”

1. Play a board game

You can do this with your family, friends or whoever you want. This kills time in a fun way, and it can create stronger bonds. There are many different games to play, and you can get them at your local target or any craft store. Most games require around 2 to 4 players, but some, such as Cards Against Humanity, can have up to 20 players.

Staff Opinion: “I personally love to play Catchphrase, Telestrations, Scattergories and Scrabble while catching up with people,” Spanish and language arts teacher Ms. Claire Scislowicz said.

1. Play video games

This is a popular activity among many kids in high school. Some favorites are Fortnite, 2k19, GTA 5 and Apex Legends. Playing video games lets you talk to your friends and have fun with them, but then go upstairs for dinner with your family 5 minutes later.

Student Opinion: “[Playing video games is fun because] I can chill with my friends without having to be together,” freshman Mustafa Kaakarli said.

1. Go thrift shopping

If you are in need of more clothes, thrift shopping is something to try. Many people give their old clothes to thrift stores every day, so there are always a bunch of new options for an affordable price. Thrift shops have almost everything. They have casual shirts, formal shirts, sweatshirts, dress pants, jeans, belts, jewelry and so much more. It’s easy to find basic shirts that you can style up with other clothes.

Opinion: “Thrift shopping is really cheap and exciting,” freshman Olivia Nava said. “Also, I love the fact that the stores always have new options.”