Senior Column: We’re all in this together

Ninotchka Valdez, Editor-in-Chief

A wise man once said that high school is “having friends we’ll keep for the rest of our lives, and that means we really are ‘all in this together.” High school was certainly not like one might have envisioned, growing up with basketball stars like Troy Bolton and science prodigies like Gabriella Montez. Certainly, there was very little dancing and singing on the spot.

Still, Troy Bolton was not wrong when he stressed the importance of the people you meet in high school. Maybe you won’t necessarily remain friends with them for life, and it’s unlikely your kids will grow up with their godparent as the kid you sat next to in Biology. You’re probably never going to meet someone who bakes creme brulee and breaks the status quo, but high school was, admittedly, a significant developmental stage for many of us. I know I’m certainly not the same person I was in freshman year, and my outlook on life is so much more different now. The people I have met in the last ten years of my life have made it that much more bearable, and I’ve learned a lot from them.

To the people that were in this together with me, and will likely never read this, I want to take this opportunity to say that I am incredibly grateful.

Thank you to my best friend, who withstood the endless rants about the stress of school with me, and who stayed up alongside me well into the morning to answer any existential questions that I might have brought up. Even though you didn’t know half the names I mentioned, or got different situations confused, know that I appreciate how much you tried to understand. I hope I was able to give that to you too.

Thank you to Zippy, who is one of the funniest and kindest people I know. You’re so smart and there’s little I admire more than your tenacity and hard work. You inspire me to do better, and I know you’re going to go so far in life. School was less boring without you, and no has the patience and ability to care so much about others like you do. If there’s one class I’m the most thankful for, it would be APUSH, because it’s the reason we became friends.

Thank you to Hiba, who didn’t care about anything ever. Like, seriously. You reminded me of how small we all are, and maybe you don’t know, but your “go with the flow” and “it doesn’t matter” attitude helped prevent many mental breakdowns during the seconds before a test, or an important due date. You didn’t show it as much as other people, but I know you cared about your closest friends. I know you have certain visions planned out for your future, and I will cross my fingers for you. I know you’ll do whatever it takes to make them come true.

Thank you to Julia, who suffered through many of my classes with me. No one really understood the burden of the classes I took like you do, because you you were stressed about them too. You also didn’t care, which was helpful. I think at some point, we all realized how little one grade means in the scheme of things, but you were one of the first people who really let me know that.

Thank you to Carly, who has such a big heart. Your sense of humor is something that will be remembered by everyone, and talking to you during lunch or Talon was such a significant part of my school day.

Thank you to Amanda, who always saw the bright side of things. I have never met someone more optimistic than you. You have such an ability to brighten other people’s day, and my four years in high school were certainly that much better because of you.

Thank you to the juniors in Talon. I lie when I say I won’t miss anything about school. I wish you guys could leave with us, because high school is rough and it’s gross that you have to go through another year of it, but still. I’m glad I got the opportunity to pass through this with you, even if it was only for two years of it. This class has taught me a lot, and I know I can trust that you guys will care for this student publication as much as I did. Good luck.

Once a falcon, always a falcon.