Benson Boone Review

Varsity Basketball Districts

April 8, 2024

The Childhood of a Falcon

April 8, 2024

How to Put Together a Trendy Spring Outfit

April 8, 2024

Working as a Highschool Student

Nearly 30% of high school students work a job in the United States. For some of these students, a job is simply taking free time off of their hands to make money, for others, it is to help support themselves and their families. The minimum age for employment in the United States is 14 years of age, with the minimum wage in the state of Michigan being $10.33. When asked about working a job, Senior Ethan McCullough said, “I don’t work a ton, so it takes away one day of my week,  which is annoying sometimes, but it is nice to have money to spend.” Speaking from personal experience, my parents urged me to get a job my Senior year, not only to allow myself financial freedom but to also build my experience for my future. Working a job and balancing it with school is not easy for most students, with weekday shifts ending late, and school starting early the next morning. I have gained exponential financial management as well since working a job, compared to my prior knowledge and experience. It has become apparent to me that now that I am in control of my own money, I need to do a better job and make better decisions on what I do and don’t spend my money on. Impulse buying is something that has affected me personally in the past. Walking through the mall, or a store, and seeing something that you don’t need, but knowing you have the money to buy it can be difficult when trying to save. Saving money can be difficult for everyone, but especially for Senior students. When asked about the importance of saving money, McCullough said, “Working a job has helped make me aware of the importance of saving and spending money on important things.” The biggest benefit to working a job as a high school senior, in my eyes, is the perfect preparation for not only learning how to deal with money, but also learning how to manage time and work a job. Working a job can be stressful but it is great preparation for things to come in life. Not having any prior job experience can hurt a young adult financially, as well as their resume. The most common jobs for a high school student are jobs within food, such as Panera Bread, a sub/sandwich shop, or even pizza. Personally, working in retail at Dick’s Sporting Goods has tremendously helped me with my money management, and my understanding of what it is like to manage a job, school, and relationships with friends and family.