How Student Athletes Balance School and Sports

Have you ever wondered how amazing athletes at Rochester High can possibly balance school and all their school work? We surveyed a few students here at RHS to answer that question.

Speaking from personal experience, it can get really challenging to balance school and sports. You need to first go to school from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Practice usually starts around 3:00 p.m, so you have almost no time after school to do any homework. By the time practice or your game is over, it’s already 5:00 p.m. It could even be as late as 9:00 p.m when you get to go home, leaving minimal time to do homework.

I interviewed a few students asking the same questions. My questions were (in order); What grade are you in? What sports do you play? Is balancing school and sports difficult? What makes balancing school and sports more difficult for you specifically? Here’s the feedback we got:

Kennedy Turovich, a sophomore at Rochester who plays volleyball and lacrosse says, “It’s fine, I can handle it,” and when asked what’s the hardest part of the balance, her reply was, “I don’t have as much time to do homework.”

Next, I interviewed Kate Ferland, a sophomore at Rochester who does dance and cheer. After asking Ferland, if balancing school and sports was hard, she said, “Yes because I have to go to school, then directly to cheer, but then I get home late and have to do my homework. I don’t get enough sleep.” After asking her our last question or the hardest part of the balance, she said, “Getting my homework done, especially in the harder classes and the AP classes.”

The last student-athlete I interviewed was Matthew Morrow, also a sophomore at Rochester High. Morrow is involved in tennis and plays on Varsity. When he was asked if balancing school and sports is difficult, he said, “ Yes, because I am a multi-sport athlete, and finding time to balance games and all my other stuff is hard.” When we asked him what makes this balance hard, he replied, “Because I feel like I have no time to do things for myself, which makes it hard.”

In conclusion, the life of a good student-athlete is very hard. You need to be on top of your balance with school and sports, but we also heard that it’s hard to even find personal time. School and sports take so much dedication and time out of a student-athlete’s life which makes the even balance between the two essential.