Profile: Senior Cara Giles encourages students to “go for it”

By Bailey Boerman

Always dressed to impress, senior Cara Giles looks for the best in every day.

“It makes me feel like my life isn’t such a mess and no matter what I’m going through at the moment, it isn’t that bad comparatively,” Giles said.

Since childhood, Giles has tried to not let a bad day get to her. Her basement was the hangout spot for the neighborhood kids. They built forts and played dodge ball, resulting in a pretty messy basement.

“I once spilled a whole can of paint on the floor and no one even noticed,” Giles said.

As Giles gets older, she’s more comfortable in her own skin.

“In theatre I won the multiple personality award because I’m all over the place,” Giles said. “One minute I’m serious and the next I’m pretending to be English and make no sense.”

In addition to being herself, Giles is learning more about the world around her. Recently, she traveled to France.

“Something about [the trip] made me feel free,” Giles said. “It was so beautiful and exciting; there are so many interesting things in the world to see and I finally began to see it.”

It’s this free spirit nature that draws Giles to her favorite actress, Jennifer Lawrence. If Giles could invite anyone to a dinner party at her house, this is who she’d select.

“Jennifer doesn’t try to be anyone but herself and that’s what I try to do,” Giles said. “Just me all the time, never acting fake. And at the dinner party I feel like she would create such a funny, weird environment. I love to laugh and be silly and I can’t be around people that can’t handle getting weird.”

Giles isn’t always sweet. Her athletic, competitive side kicks in on the volleyball court and allows her an avenue to channel her negative energy.

“There’s something really satisfying about hitting a ball in someone’s face,” Giles said. “Plus being a giant finally pays off.”

Giles also has giant life goals, including attending the prestigious University of Chicago.

“When I visited there it just felt like home,” Giles said. “I love Chicago and its atmosphere. Also, it’s such a great school with something always going on.”

In order to achieve this goal, Giles is working hard to get excellent grades. At the end of the day, though, she knows that she’ll make the best out of whatever situation she ends up in.

“I’ve learned that whatever you want, go for it,” Giles said. “You always think that you’re not good enough or won’t make it but if you just do it you’ll find out you actually can.”