U of D Mercy rolls over U of M Dearborn

In a high scoring event, at least for one of the teams, U of D Mercy ran over U of M Dearborn 106-51. U of M Dearborn is a Division II school so the outcome of this game was not as different as anyone expected.

“We shot the ball well with Anton and Juwan,” U of D coach Ray McCallum said. “These are two guys we need to step up for us for the rest of the season.”

Anton Wilson finished 8-9 from the floor, 4-5 from downtown, witch made 21 points overall for the game. Juwan Howard Jr. finished 7-12 from the floor, 4-7 from beyond the arc, witch made 22 points on the game.

“We just kept taking shots and they went our way tonight,” Wilson said. “We struggled to make that much against South Alabama, but today we made the shots we needed to win.”

For U of M Dearborn, Jamiel Strickland went 8-20 from the floor, 2-4 from 3-point range, which made 18 points and the teams leader on the night. Gage Throgmorton went 5-10 making only 3 pointers accumulating to 15 points on the night.

“They had some really good shooters,” McCallum said. “We were able to limit them on the shots they took and we made them make bad decisions on the floor.”

U of D was also able to make many free throws. The Titans made 28-34 free throws, and U of M Dearborn only made 2-8.

“It was good for us to stay out of foul trouble,” McCallum said. “We need to able to put up the kind of performance we did tonight and the other type of things that only we can. It was also good that when we made it to the line we were able to finish off the three point plays.”

With the first win under their belt, the Titans will travel to

“They are a tough team and I can’t wait to play them,” Wilson said. “They will be a real test for us and should make us better as a team.”

The Huskies rank 19th in the nation but have a problem with rebounding the basketball. U of D has been getting the most rebounds lately.

“We put a lot on practice but we hope to get our bigger people.” McCallum said. “We have to be able to contain Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boughtright. Guard play is gonna be able to help out our bigs and control the basketball like we know we can.”