Spartans outplay Wolverines

The high-profile rivalry game between the Michigan State Spartans and the Michigan Wolverines resulted in the Paul Bunyan trophy coming back to East Lansing.

The Spartans stout defense was too much for the Wolverine offensive line as the Spartans sacked Michigan quarterback Devin Gardener 7 times.

The Spartans defense also took the rushing offense of Michigan backwards with -48 rushing yards. With this win the Spartans remain undefeated in Big Ten play. Spartans rise to 8-1 (5-0 in the Big Ten). Michigan falls to 6-2 (2-2 in the Big Ten).

Spartans quarterback Connor Cook went 18 of 33 with for 252 yards with one touchdown and  one interception. Cook also had a rushing touchdown.

Bennie Fowler caught the touchdown pass thrown by Cook. Fowler had 6 receptions for 75 yards along with the touchdown.

Michigan quarterback Devin Gardener was constantly under duress, but still was able to go 14 for 27 with for 210 yards but had an interception. Gardener targeted wide receiver Jeremy Gallon many times, as he had 5 receptions for 67 yards.

The Spartans had a hard time rushing the ball until the later part of the game. Spartan running back Jeremy Langford had 26 carries for 120 yards and a 40-yard touchdown run.

Michigan running-back Fitzgerald Toussaint had only eight carries for 20 yards on the ground. Devin Gardener was sacked too many times for them to have a positive day on the ground.

The Spartans have won five out of the last six games against the Wolverines.