Spartans blank the Boilermakers

Spartans+blank+the+Boilermakers+

Although the game last Saturday was a very low scoring affair, Michigan State played a great game on defense. The Boilermakers struggled on offense as they had all year, as they never made it into the red zone at all.

The Spartans also struggled on offense but were able to put up an offensive touchdown. With this 14-0 victory, Michigan State rises to 6-1 (3-0 in Big Ten) and Purdue drops to 1-6 (0-3 in Big Ten).

Michigan State sophomore quarterback Connor Cook went 13/25 with 107 yards passing and 27 yards rushing on 6 carries. Cook didn’t throw a touchdown, but he didn’t throw an interception. Purdue freshman quarterback Danny Etling went 14/25 with 160 yards with an interception.

Purdue running backs Brandon Cottom and Akeem Hunt combined for 82 yards on the ground, with no fumbles or dropped passes. Michigan State running back Jeremy Langford ran for 131 yards averaging 5.5 yards on the game. Running was a big key for this game, considering the downpour throughout the game.

The game consisted mostly of punts. Spartan Punter Mike Sadler landed 3 of his many punts inside the 20 yard line. While Purdue punter Cody Webster landed almost half of his many punts inside the 20.

With the victory, Michigan State is now bowl eligible, with six wins under their belt.