Girls Golf Makes Season History

Trina Mollicone, Editor-in-Chief

Not every high school sports team can say that they are the 3rd best in the state of Michigan. However, the Rochester High School Girls Varsity Golf Team can. The team recently qualified for the Michigan High School Athletics Association (MHSAA) State Championships, and they exceeded everyone’s expectations when the time came to play. Prior to the finals, the girls were ranked 5th in the state. Due to this, they weren’t expected to place better than 5th in the finals. The Lady Falcons outdid themselves and ended the State Championships with a 3rd place finish. On day one, sophomore Madison Yang led the team shooting 80, juniors Brooke Haney and Natalie Haise followed closely shooting 81 and 82. Starting out so strongly allowed the team to secure their spot in the 3rd place seat. Considering the fact that the team hasn’t qualified for the finals since 2016, this was a huge accomplishment. With an overall score of 681 across the two day tournament, they were only five strokes behind the 2nd place team, Brighton High School. The reigning champions of the 2022 State Finals were the Adams High School Highlanders. Known as Rochester’s fiercest rivals, the Highlanders’ performance was just too good to beat. However, this has given Rochester the motivation to give Adams a scare next season. The team has already begun to plan how they will prepare to take the title of State Champions in 2023. Although the ladies accomplished one of their best seasons in RHS girls golf history, this group has a bright future ahead of them.