Top Movie Picks of the Summer

Royce Winters, Staff Writer

Many Rochester students were excited this past summer for the abundant lineup of movies that came out. Whether it was action, horror, romantic or superhero movies, the theaters were always packed. Let’s take a look at the movies that topped the charts in the summer of 2022.

One of the most beloved characters in the Marvel Universe, Thor, is back in the theaters. Antonio Maldonado Vega is one of Thor’s biggest fans and went to see “Thor Love and Thunder” this past summer. The new movie is about Thor traveling the galaxy trying to find peace and find a purpose in the world, but his journey is cut short when he finds out that a person named Gorr, the god butcher, is going around the galaxy killing gods. Gorr is doing this because he feels that the gods abandoned him when he needed their help. Thor creates a team to stop Gorr from killing any other gods. “I liked the movie because my favorite character is Thor,” said Maldonado Vega. “However, the actor Christian Bales who played Gorr wasn’t as amazing as that character.”

The next movie that sold out theaters was “Minions: The Rise of Gru.” The attention that this movie received had people dressing up in suits with friends to view it.. This is the sequel to the “Minions” movie from 2015. The movie is about young Gru trying to get into a super villain group. When the group decides to give him a chance,it turns out to be the worst decision he had ever made. The group kicks Gru out and he is on the run. While on the run, Gru and the minions meet someone who used to be the leader of the group and he helps them take down the villain group. Senior Ava Grabke, a big fan of minions, shares her thoughts: “I liked this movie because I thought it was really fun and family friendly.”

From one sequel to the next, one of the biggest movies that came out this summer was “Top Gun: Maverick.” The sequel made 1.4 billion at the box office. The film is about Pete Maverick who was an aviator pilot for 30 years. He became a test pilot where he trained new graduates. He finds any way to get out of moving up in ranks because he doesn’t want to stop flying. Maverick, upon missing the pilots, has to face his biggest fears and make costly decisions. “I liked this movie because it made me feel like I was flying the plane myself,” said senior Corey Winters. “The movie captured the beauty of flying jets and I liked that all the actors actually got the license to fly and the planes,” said Winters.