“Kicks for a Cause” kick-starts at the Big Bright Lights Show

Kicks for a Cause kick-starts at the Big Bright Lights Show

Rochester Hills residents gathered for the Big Bright Lights show in Downtown Rochester on December 2nd. Many also stopped by to donate old or new pairs of shoes to the “Kicks for a Cause” setup, run by the Rochester Neighborhood House (RANH), an organization that raises proceeds for its sector The Clothes Closet.

“The shoes donated will eventually be worn by struggling ambassadors that walk among us tonight,” RANH junior ambassador and SCHS senior Grace Nasr said.

The Big Bright Lights show is an annual event where the blankets of lights covering the stores of Downtown Rochester are ceremonially lit. This placing was a strategic choice by the directors of RANH.

“Since so many people come to the Big Brights Lights show as a way to show city pride, we thought it would be strategic to hold the event there,” Ms. Linda Riggs said.

Ms. Riggs currently serves as executive director of RANH, and she often manages the happenings at the Clothes Closet, which provides clothes, bags and other necessities for families at a sharply discounted price. Ms. Riggs indicated that she was impressed with the turnout and donations, and she intends to continue the event.

“I think we will do ‘Kicks for Cause’ next year,” Ms. Riggs said. “If we need more shoe donations, and if the weather permits, I don’t see why not.”