Tigers hire Dave Clark as new 3B coach

The Detroit Tigers announced Wednesday that they have signed Dave Clark for the 2014 season. Clark will serve as the 3B coach and outfield instructor.

Before signing with the Tigers, Clark spent the last five seasons with the Houston Astros. He was the 3B coach last season and served as the 1B coach from 2009-2012. He also had a brief stint as the Astros interim manager for the final 13 games in 2009.

Clark previously coached in the minor leagues, both in the Astros and Pittsburgh Pirates system. In 2006, Clark lead the Corpus Christi Hooks to their first ever Texas League championship.

Detroit will welcome back pitching coach Jeff Jones and bench coach Gene Lamont. Both will serve under new manager Brad Ausmus and signed two-year contracts.

Lamont joined the Tigers as the third base coach in 2006, before serving as the bench coach last season and was replaced by Tom Brookens. Lamont has had managerial experience from 1992-2000. He spent four seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates and four with the Chicago White Sox.

Jones joined the Tigers in 2006 as the bullpen coach. He later served as the pitching coach in 2011. Jones began his coaching career in 1989 as the pitching coach for Single-A Fayetteville, Double-A London, Double-A Jacksonville and Triple-A Toledo.

“Jeff has done a fine job for us and I am happy to have him back,” Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski told MLive.com. “After Brad met with Jeff, he wanted to have him back on the staff.”