Senior Column

Senior+Column

Angela Mammel, Copy Editor and News Editor

I can’t believe that I’m here, writing this column right now, preparing to leave all I’ve known for these past four years. I can’t stop myself from looking around at my classmates in utter confusion about how we got to this point- watching my friends and I go through the same traditions we’ve seen previous senior classes partake in is the weirdest and most bittersweet thing in the world.

If you asked me a month ago how I felt about leaving RHS, I would have scoffed and told you I can’t wait to leave. And to be honest, that’s still true- high school has been so weird and sad at times, but that’s only made the good times all the more sweet. As the days until my last one of this year change into the single digits, however, I’m finding myself almost reluctant to leave. You truly don’t realize the good times you’re having until they’re (almost) gone.

The thought of leaving my friends and teachers behind to move on to the next phase of my life is the most sad, confusing, and exciting thing I’ve ever had to do. It feels like I’m on the edge of a cliff, ready to jump out into the unknown- will I fall or will I fly? What comes next?

This is getting way too melodramatic because I feel things way too deeply, so I’m going to segue this into thanking my closest friends here for the all of the great times we’ve had together. I’m the luckiest person in the world to have gotten close to Olivia, Gita, and Fatima in sophomore year APUSH- they’re the biggest dorks I know and they’ve brightened up these past 4 years of my life more than I can say. Struggling through school projects with each other, seeing the newest Marvel movies together in the theaters again and again, and doing (or being supported in) R.A.T.S. productions with them is something I would never trade for the world. They’ve pushed me out of my comfort zone and pulled me out of my dark days more times than I can count, and I’ll miss them so much when we’re all across the state from each other next year.

I can’t thank my incredible teachers enough, as well- leaving the people who’ve helped me grow so much not only in knowledge but also as a person over these past four years is going to be difficult, and I can’t imagine not coming back to visit them. A few of my teachers specifically have gone beyond challenging me academically to truly reach out to me as a person, and the relationships I have with them have been so important to me throughout the years. From being my shoulder to lean on, helping me grow my passion for social studies that I plan to turn into a career, always being there for a feminist rant, or never failing to brighten up my day, I know their mentorship and care has helped prepare me for the future.

I’m not going to be cliché and say that I wouldn’t change my high school experience for the world, because despite all the good I mentioned, most of it felt like that one scene in “Thor: Ragnarok” where Loki tumbles out of a portal only to scream that he’s been falling for the past thirty minutes. But I definitely feel like I’ve grown into myself over these past four years, and I know I’ll miss some of it for sure. Through all of the ups and downs, I’ve become more confident in myself and ready to take on whatever the future may hold. Life is crazy, but to quote David Bowie, “I don’t know where I’m going from here, but I promise it won’t be boring.”