In Between: RATS Performs One Act Show

Main cast members of the show. Photo courtesy of Gledis Bitraj

Kathryn Chatman, Staff Writer

The Rochester Alliance of Theatrical Students (RATS) performed an original one act-show on Feb. 7 and 8. The $5, approximately 30-minute production was first performed at Lovefest the previous weekend. The main cast starred Junior Julian Karagounis as Danny, described by fellow characters as a “square,” Senior Joey Tobin as Danny’s best friend, Jackson, Junior Donovan Glover as Butch, an athletic jock, Sophomore Jane Bailey as Sharon, a spiritual hippie, Senior Maggie McGuire as Lila, a free-spirited and fun loving girl, and Junior Gledis Bitraj as Roxie, the sassiest of the group.

The ominous production is set in a graveyard, where a few high school friends decide to have a get-together before they graduate and they go their separate ways, either to college, the workforce, or the Vietnam War. They have a leisurely and unreserved evening planned, including music, games, and alcohol. However, the atmosphere quickly becomes tense when Danny, a studious prude, arrives and threatens to put a damper on their reckless fun. To their surprise, Danny decides to partake in their juvenile activities this one time, fueled by a secret desire to impress fun-loving Lila. Danny’s drinking doesn’t quite lead to the relaxed results the gang had hoped for, instead producing negativity and suspicion. Eventually Danny tries to make amends, but this only seems to make the situation worse, as their immature responses stimulate more division. Eventually Danny becomes so angry and paranoid that he fights with several people in the group, even his best friend, Jackson. This leads into a series shocking discoveries that both Danny and the audience makes. Years later, a new group of friends enter the graveyard in search of a party similar to the one before, though this time equipped with cell phones; despite the technological advances, one can assume the trials they face will be similar to those before them.

“In Between” was an entertaining and well put together act. The cast was undeniably passionate about the show, and this was especially evident through their acting, even in moments that were not directly related to their characters. Even the supporting cast members, the ghost and the texting girls, displayed an earnest investment in their roles, which was critical in the development in themes of the production. Julian Karagounis’s depiction of Danny was phenomenally sincere, especially in the profound monologue he momentously delivered toward the end of the show. Aside from the cast, the props and stage crew did an excellent job in both making the scene come to life and conveying the story; the names lighting up on one of the gravestones was a nice touch, and gave context to what could have been a confusing situation.

The story itself was very intriguing, and was filled with plot twists the audience did not foresee coming. Once the audience thought they had figured out Danny’s fate, it was revealed that it was actually his friends who were the victims in the situation. When reflecting on the show, one realizes small details that foreshadowed the shocking conclusion, which makes the story and the plot twist justifiable; without them, the plot would seem vague and perplexing. It’s also these small details that shed light onto the shows overall message about the power of forgiveness.

There weren’t any major negative aspects to the show, but there were a few minor technical errors. For instance, the flatline during Danny and Butch’s fight seemed premature, but this could’ve been due to a simple technical mistake. Overall, the cast and crew’s hard work proved to be successful.

All-together, “In Between” was well worth the watch. It featured a compelling story and enticing characters, and made for an enjoyable experience. It earns an impressive 4.5/5 rating.