Senior column: Jonathon Markwort

It took me almost the entire four years of high school, but I’ve finally found my place here. For my first three years at Rochester, I wasn’t entirely sure where I belonged. I’ve always had friends and there are people that I hang out with on a regular basis, but I didn’t have people that I knew I’d stay in contact with after high school. I didn’t have a place where I was truly comfortable and I didn’t feel truly wanted. However, as my time in high school comes to a close, I’ve finally found my niche.

Go figure, I found my spot in high school right before graduation. It seems like bad luck, but after thinking about it, I feel like it’s actually a good thing. I’ve spent four years struggling to fit in somewhere. At times, I got irritated with how things were going, but looking back, I’m happy with the way that things have turned out. It may have taken me a long time to find them, but I’m leaving high school with a group of good friends that I’m going to be close with for a long time. I’m glad that I struggled around for a couple of years, because it helped me to realize who my closest friends are. I can’t think of a better time to figure out who your best friends are than right before you start a new path in life. True friends will always be there, and I’m happy to say that I’ve found my true friends.

The last few weeks of my senior year have been the best of my high school experience and some of the best that I can remember in my 18 years on this planet. I’m glad that I can say that I’m leaving high school on a good note. Looking back, of course there are things that I would have done differently, but I’m glad that I’ve spent my last few weeks here with my closest friends, enjoying the ride.