Rochester winter spirit

The winter preparations at Rochester High School

Photo by Jenny Kim

Elijah Henegar, Staff Writer

Here at RHS, this last week of school before winter break is always filled with activity and events for students and staff to enjoy. Whether it’s cheering on sports teams, enjoying musical concerts, or getting involved in fun activities, the last week of school before the holidays is always fun at RHS!

According to Principal Josh Wrinkle, “Student Council does a great job in the week prior to the holiday break. They usually do a spirit week, a toy drive, and some winter-themed games in the mall during lunch.”

This week has been no exception, as the Student Council is once again hosting all three activities.

The spirit week dress-up themes are:

Monday: Ski vs Surf
Tuesday: Formal wear for attending the Family Holiday Dinner
Wednesday: Oxford strong – wear blue and gold
Thursday: Ugly Sweaters
Friday: Plaid or Pajamas

The toy drive currently going on now will be providing toys to be donated to the Toys for TOTS organization. Students and staff can drop off toys to be donated in the Media Center throughout this week for Toys for TOTS to pick them up and distribute them in time for the holiday season. The more toys we can provide for children in our community, the more holiday joy we spread to those in need.

Holiday fun at lunch this week consists of grades competing against one another in spirited games. RHS students can participate or just be a spectator cheering on your friends while watching them perform Karaoke or trying to win at Pin the Nose on the Snowman!

Those who celebrate the holidays with music and art were able to enjoy performances by members of the talented RHS Choir and RHS Band. Choir held their Winter Concert on December 9th, and the Musical Pit Orchestra performed theirs this week on Wednesday, December 15th.

For sports fans, there are plenty of opportunities to cheer our Falcon teams on! The varsity hockey team will be playing on December 17th, 18th, 27th, 28th and 29th. In addition, the RHS varsity wrestling team has meets on the 17th and 18th, and the girls basketball teams, varsity, junior varsity, and freshmen teams, will be playing on the 16th, 17th, and 21st. For more information on all athletic games, check the schedules online at https://rhsfalcons.com/events that provides dates, times, and locations.

No matter what you’re interested in, RHS is filled with opportunities to celebrate the season and show your Falcon spirit!.