Falcons hold on to undefeated streak after Ferndale game

Photo taken by and courtesy of Faith Cabalum.

Collin Kilpatrick, Sports Editor

The Falcon football team continued their undefeated season, as they took down the Ferndale High School Eagles by a score of 40-16. This improves the team’s record to 5-0, which is the program’s best start since the 1993 season. 

Juniors Preston Schroyer and Jeff Hawkins stepped up big for the Falcon offense as they combined for three touchdowns between the two of them. The defense was led by sophomore Jaiden Bolden, who recorded two interceptions, and returned one for a touchdown. The defense was also supported by an outstanding performance from senior Kavan Troy, who led the team in tackles. 

This win comes on senior night, as the team honored its senior players.

This is one of the last games the seniors will play on the Rochester field, which is a meaningful moment for them, as many have committed years into the Falcon football program.

“It was great to win on senior night, it felt surreal,” Senior Balaaj Forcon said. “It was hard to believe that it was my senior night, four years went by so fast.”

The team worked hard all week in practice, and the work they put in translated into the game. 

“We knew what we were supposed to do, and we communicated really well, especially on defense,” Forcon said. “We put in the work at practice and worked hard to be ready for our competition.”

The team is seeing the work they have put in all year pay off, as they are off to one of the best playoff starts the football program at Rochester has ever seen. The team has been handling their success well, and have responded by continuing to work hard.

“Obviously we’re happy and grateful because we have been working hard everyday all summer, and now school year,” Forcon said. “Our hard work is paying off, but it isn’t stopping us from continuing to work harder as we make our way to the playoffs.”

With each game there is the risk of losing an undefeated season on the line, which gives the team an added edge to work for the win.

“We know the teams we play are focused on trying to end our undefeated season, and we don’t take that lightly,” Forcon said. “We work hard, and we do what we need to do and we take what’s ours, we play like it’s just business as usual.”

The Falcons are heading to Berkley to take on the Bears of Berkley High School this Friday at 7 p.m. The Falcons are playing for the chance to cap off an undefeated season, and win the league championship outright.