Freshmen Falcons tour RHS

Photo taken by Holly McDonald.

Holly McDonald, Feature Editor

On Wednesday evening, RHS freshmen had the opportunity to tour the building and find their classes prior to the start of the hybrid schedule beginning next week. Link Crew volunteers were stationed around the school to answer questions and offer guidance, as well as leading freshmen around the building, for most, the first time. 

In a normal school year, freshmen would have gotten a tour with their middle school class in May, had another chance to see the building during freshman orientation, and have a third opportunity after registration when they receive their schedules. However, with an entire shift to remote learning, current RHS freshmen have not been able to tour the school at all, that is, until Wednesday.

Link crew leaders and volunteers showed up to offer reassurance and helpful tips, welcoming the freshmen with open arms. These students set an example of the encouraging atmosphere at Rochester, with the overall goal to lessen any anxiety or fears freshmen have. 

“We just wanted to be as helpful as we could,” said Junior Alyssa Nagaitis. “We were able to lead a group of three freshmen through their schedules and find all of their classes in the building.”

Senior Moira Yee attended as a link crew member as well and was also happy to be able to help.

“You can feel anxious coming into high school not knowing where all your classes are,” Yee said. “I was glad the freshmen got this experience before their first day of in-person learning, and hopefully feel more comfortable after being able to see the inside of the school.”

On behalf of everyone at RHS, we are excited to welcome our newest members of the falcon family and we can’t wait to see you in person next week!