Rochester girls golf season comes to a close

Photo courtesy of Kim Baker.

Megan Baker, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, Oct. 7, the Rochester girls varsity golf team competed in their regional tournament at Cherry Creek Golf Club. The team placed 6th overall out of 11 teams with a total score of 402 strokes. 

“I was really nervous and excited to compete in [our] regional tournament,” said sophomore Alaina Webb.  

With the pressure high and the windshield even higher, it was a difficult day for the Falcons. The difficulty of the course combined with the persistent, harsh wind made for non ideal conditions for all of the players. The team battled through nonetheless, but were unable to qualify for the state tournament in the end, bringing their season to a close. 

“I was upset we didn’t make it through and our season had to stop,” said sophomore Alaina Webb, “but [I was] proud of us and what we accomplished during the season.”

Despite a disappointing day at regionals, the team does have lots to be proud of this season. They finished their season 4-1 in their league matches, placed 2nd overall in their league, and placed 10th in the Oakland County. 

This past Wednesday also marked the final day of high school golf for the seniors, who the team says will be missed. For the juniors and underclassmen, however, they continue looking forward to what they hope will be a promising season next year.

“I will miss all of the seniors leaving, they were an awesome part of the team,” says Webb, “the season was super fun and I am going to miss competing in matches and tournaments.”