Benson Boone Review

Varsity Basketball Districts

April 8, 2024

The Childhood of a Falcon

April 8, 2024

How to Put Together a Trendy Spring Outfit

April 8, 2024

Special education teacher wins award, money

Mrs. Cosentino poses with her students and her award. She won the Rochester High School foundation Excellence in Education Award. Photo by Sarah Walwema

On April 15, special education teacher Amy Cosentino won the Rochester High School foundation Excellence in Education Award. Mrs. Cosentino said she feels happy to come to work everyday.

“I think I have the best job in the world,” Mrs. Cosentino said. “I feel that I learn more than I teach. I learn how to be a good person and the importance to laugh and have fun. I learn so much from my students.”

The award also comes with a $1,500 cash prize that will go towards Mrs. Cosentino’s program. This program works to make students with special needs ready to be more independent, whether it’s getting a job, an apartment or learning to balance a checkbook.

“I’m going to get together with the speech teacher and social worker to get something really cool,” Mrs. Cosentino said. “I’m hoping it’s technology based.”

Even though the school felt that she deserved the award, it caught her off guard.

“I’ve never won anything like this before,” Mrs. Cosentino said. “I was so shocked, surprised and humbled. RHS is full of wonderful and talented teachers, and I felt humbled to be accepted.”