RCS’s 2018 College Night aims to inform students and parents about college opportunities

Senior+Pooja+Patel+works+on+her+college+application.+Students+and+parents+can+learn+more+about+the+application+process+during+College+Night+at+AHS+on+Oct.+16.+Photo+by+Maggie+Rhymstett+

Senior Pooja Patel works on her college application. Students and parents can learn more about the application process during College Night at AHS on Oct. 16. Photo by Maggie Rhymstett

Raghda Romaya, Staff Writer

RCS students and their parents have the opportunity to meet with college admission representatives at during College Night, which will be held on Oct. 16 at Adams High School from 6-7:30 p.m.

During the event, high school students have the opportunity to plan for their futures and be informed of what each college offers. Although students are able to research colleges online, counselors say they will not get the full experience and benefits of attending College Night.

This is a great opportunity to start to learn about different colleges and what they have to offer, ” counselor Mrs. Messing said. “Instead of reading about a college online, you have the opportunity to talk to an admissions counselor about your unique situation/interests.”

High schoolers are able to personally speak with representatives to learn about careers and colleges they may be interested in pursuing in the future. This chance will help students expand their knowledge and prepare them for college.

“Getting more informed about the colleges would get me better prepared,” junior Emma Simpson said. “The college fair will probably help me decide because having all of the colleges there and telling me what they offer will probably get me educated.”

Students can not only attend and gather information, but they can ask college representatives questions relating to their own interests, grades and anything  else they may be curious about.

“I’ll ask about different majors and their athletics departments,” said junior Brooke Coulter. “I want to go to college to pursue athletic careers such as track and field.”

Some students, like Simpson, are curious about college art programs.

“I want to go into performing arts and graphic stuff, or anything relating to choir,” Simpson said.  “I’ll definitely ask about that.”

College night is also designed for high school students who are not well educated on how to apply for college or do not know what school is best for them.

“This opportunity could help me see how the college works and see what I want to do in the future,” said junior Luiza Piovesan. “I think it’s nice for me to see what college I could go to and what interests me.”

Learning about colleges ahead of time can minimize stress when it comes to time of applications. This event can help students decide on a potential college they are interested in and have learned about.

I think College Night will definitely help me decide what college I want to go to,” Simpson said. “Having all of the colleges there and telling me what they offer will get me educated on their programs.”

RHS counselors believe this is a beneficial event for high school students looking to plan ahead.

“I would encourage all students grade 9-12 to attend,” Mrs. Messing said. “I think the earlier students start learning about opportunities the better.”

Representatives from many in-state public colleges, like the University of Michigan, Oakland University, Michigan State University and others, attended the event.

“This can help me get a better idea of what colleges are out there and get an idea of where I can go,” said Coulter. “I’m just excited to see what colleges I can go to.”

College night is an opportunity for any students trying to plan for the chapter of life that comes after graduating high school.

“The goal would be that colleges that students have an interest in, the student should visit before their senior year,” Mrs. Messing said. “The more knowledge our students have, the more informed decisions they will be able to make.”