How RHS Falcons are spending their Spring Break

A tropical vacation isnt the only way to spend Spring Break- three Falcons share their plans to stay home this year. Photo courtesy of Creative Commons.

A tropical vacation isn’t the only way to spend Spring Break- three Falcons share their plans to stay home this year. Photo courtesy of Creative Commons.

Emma Scharfenberg, Staff Writer

Three students and staff shared their Spring Break plans with The Talon. Check out their Q&A below:

Megan Heitchue, sophomore

How do you plan on spending spring break?

“Hanging out with friends and watching Netflix.”

Do you have any traditions that you do over break?

“No, we kind of just hang out as a family.”

What are some of your vacation necessities?

“A pillow, my phone, and earbuds”

What is your dream vacation? Why?

“Germany because my best friend lives there.”

Where was your favorite spring break? Why?

“Washington D.C because I got to see the Lincoln Memorial.”

Would you rather spend it with you friends or family? Why?

“With my friends because they are more fun.”

Any ideas for a staycation?  

“Playing Fortnite.”

What are you most excited for during spring break?

“Hanging out with friends and just sleeping.”

Mr. Luea, Social Studies Teacher

What do you plan on doing over break?  Why?

“Usually [my wife and I] don’t go anywhere together but I always go fishing with my guy friends that I’ve known for 25 years. We usually go up to the west side of the state and we steelhead fish for usually 4 days.”

“I would say my favorite spring break was in Key West, Florida. It was nice because it was family and everybody was there and my wife and two kids at the time. Key West is awesome.”

Do you wish your schedule allowed you to travel more?  

“It seems like we have great schedule as it is. But yeah, I wish we had a little more time. I wish we had a few more breaks so if we went anywhere it wouldn’t be as crowded.”

What did a usual spring break consist of when you were a student?

“When I was in high school, I would work. And when I was in college, I worked all the time. I literally just worked.”

If you could spend spring break with any teacher from RHS who would it be and why?

“The one teacher that’s newer that I’ve talked to a lot is Mr. Lewis. He hunts and fishes like I do so I would spend my spring break with him because I know we’d do something with hunting and fishing.”

“Not having to grade papers and being able to get outside with my friends. Not grading papers for a week is something I look forward to.”  

Mrs. Smilie, Math Teacher

“I plan on sleeping in every day.  I will hang out with my kids.”

“My favorite spring break was when I was in college.  Two of my friends and I went to Chicago for a few days.  None of us had been there before. We went to the aquarium, Navy Pier and shopped along Michigan Avenue.  We had a ton of fun!”

Do you wish your schedule allowed you to travel more? Explain.

“Yes and no.  I like to travel, but I find it challenging to do during our breaks throughout the year.  I’d rather go away for a weekend and save longer trips for the summer when I have more time.  Sometimes, during school breaks, popular destinations are way too crowded.”

“I always stayed home.  My friends and I would go to the movies and go shopping.”

“I would spend it with Mrs. Gotko because we always have a great time when we go places.”

“I am excited to just do nothing.  This school year has been especially challenging.  I’m always super busy. I’m just looking forward to being able to recharge.”