Simple ways to celebrate March is Reading Month

Freshman+Sarah+Vander+Sluis+enjoys+a+book+in+the+RHS+Media+Center.+Photo+by+Faith+Schultz.+

Freshman Sarah Vander Sluis enjoys a book in the RHS Media Center. Photo by Faith Schultz.

Faith Schultz, Staff Writer

The month of March is recognized as March is Reading Month, and whether you care book fanatic reading year-round, or just trying to get a better grade in your Language Arts class, here are some fun, easy ways to celebrate this event.

Goodreads

Goodreads is a website that tracks your reading. You can challenge yourself to read a certain number of books in a year (January-December). Depending on what books you read and what you rate them, you get book recommendations based on your interests. You can also see what books others have read and see their challenges.

Go to Your Local Library

You can visit your local library to get as many books as you want. At the Rochester HIlls Public Library, they have some events for March is Reading Month. The biggest event they have at RHPL would be their 5th grade Battle of the Books. It is when 5th graders get into teams and read 12 books. Then on March 10th, each team has to answer 50 questions about those books. For high school students, the library is a great resource for finding new books to enjoy. 

Battle of the Books

Speaking of Battle of the Books, Rochester, Adams, Stoney and ACE compete in this fun event in May. There are six books: Turtles All the Way Down, Carnival, Generation One, One of Us Is Lying, WINGER, and Stalking Jack the Ripper. You can participate by reading one book, or all of them. On May 4, you can attend this event and there will be activities like book trivia and Skyping authors.

Book Drive

You can share your love of reading with others by donating some old favorites. From March 12-23, Mrs. Schrems and the English National Honors Society are doing a book drive. You can donate books for levels kindergarten-12th grade and take them to room F106. All of the books are donated to Beyond Basics, an organization in Southfield.