The class of 2021 joins RHS

The+freshman+student+section+participate+in+The+Rollercoaster+at+their+first+homecoming+pep+assembly.+

Makenzie Shubnell

The freshman student section participate in “The Rollercoaster” at their first homecoming pep assembly.

Sharan Shibu and Bianca Mow

It is September 5, 2017: the first day of a new school year. Many students are returning to RHS, but many are just arriving for the first time. Freshmen look at the school from their different vantage point, whether it’s a car, bike or bus. Students like freshman Vivek Revanakar feel that the school is gigantic, and have the fear that they will get lost.

“I was intimidated by the size of RHS when I first saw it,” Revanakar said. “I thought I would get lost.” 

One change from middle school to high school is the lunch times. Due to the size of the school and the number of students, the school can’t have every grade level eating at the same time. Instead, they have different groups of lunches with multiple grade levels.

“I like the lunch times,” freshman Chris Johnson said. “I think it’s good how they get split where you can have lunch with older kids just so that you can make older friends.”

Another difference from middle school is the amount of passing time students receive between classes. At Reuther Middle School, students received only four minutes, compared to six minutes at RHS.

“I think it’s needed because there are a lot of people in the school,” Johnson said.”Sometimes the hallways get jammed and I can’t even get there until the warning bell.” 

To help with the transition to high school, students can visit the counseling office for help and make an appointment with a counselor, based on last name. Counselors are always ready to help, so all students need to do is ask. 

“I would say my schedule everyday is pretty much every hour, so counselors are mainly available anytime during the school day,” counselor Mr. Green said. 

Many students come to him for help with anything from lockers to schedules. During the first few weeks, freshmen often come in to ask him for help about schedule changes.

“Someone is always coming in,” Mr. Green said. “It’s usually around scheduling issues.”  

Although the move from high school to middle school can be challenging, Mr. Green points out that the  support RHS offers can make it easier.

“Not as many [freshmen] are getting lost but I think that’s probably because we have a welcoming building,” Mr. Green said. “Even though this year’s freshman didn’t have their orientation here I think that there has been a lot of assistance for them to get around.”