Homeschooling is a good option

Sophomore Alyssa Trachsel

Alyssa Trachsel, Guest Writer

Often children or teenagers wish that they were homeschooled, which begs the question: is homeschooling more beneficial than public schooling? Homeschooling is a better learning environment and a more successful system for children. Children and teenagers that are homeschooled are proved to be more intelligent and have better social skills.    

The National Average Percentile test scores show that children who are homeschooled have higher test scores than the average public schools. The statistics show that homeschoolers are more intelligent in almost every subject. The reason for this is because children have more one on one time with the teacher and can spend longer time on the subjects they are weak in. Therefore, children in homeschooling are better critical thinkers.

Children who are homeschooled through eighth grade exhibit no disruption in social development and evolution,” said Dr. Phil Mcgraw in his research in homeschooling versus public schooling. To make homeschooling work, parents must make the time, money, and lifestyle commitment to provide that academic environment for the children they are homeschooling. The parents should make the effort to have the child participate in extracurricular activities of their peer group, like sports, YMCA activities, the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, or even church groups. Dr. Phil states, “tests have shown that homeschooled children have above average social and psychological development through their exposure to many different age groups and other activities to help their social development.”

Laura Brodie talks about how her 10-year-old daughter Julia never really fit in at public schools. Laura says, “Julia’s teachers described Julia as ‘very creative child,’ with strong emotions, obsessive interests, and little patience for group activities and social norms. I told Julia that for one year we could try something different. Starting next September we could stay at home and follow a curriculum that combined her unique interests with the public schools’ idea of fifth grade essentials. This helped Julia in many different ways. This was a great opportunity for Julia because she could take interests in what she wanted and learn what she was comfortable with. At the same time she still has a curriculum to follow so she doesn’t get off task. Overall, this really improved with Julia’s results in school and with her communication.”

Others would argue that homeschooling is not beneficial to children because they are isolated in a home environment, the curriculum isn’t regulated by the state, and the amount of online materials reduces a child’s ability to communicate well. This isn’t correct because these kids often participate in homeschooling programs with other children, they can join clubs and teams at the local public school, the curriculum is rigorous, and having a parent to talk through the assignments with actually makes their communication stronger.

Overall, homeschooling is a good option for children and teens because it allows them to be successful in many different ways. They can perform better on standardized tests. Students can make time for schooling and social activities. In the end, it is clear that homeschooling is better for many children than public schooling.