Humans of Rochester

Sophomore athlete Dylan Rodman

Photo Courtesy of Dylan Rodman

Brice Boggan, Staff Writer

As we all have hobbies, we have those special moments where we do something amazing. Dylan Rodman, just recently had his special moment during his football game.

As Rodman runs down the field on the Sept. 16 home game, he starts to feel the adrenaline as he’s about to score the first touchdown for his team. He hears the cheers of his team as the crowd roars. Rodman realized how hard he worked this season to get to the moment he’s at now. As a fellow student of many, and a human of Rochester, it’s important to know about students like Rodman.

“They were doing good blocks and making good holes so I can run it,” said Rodman, “[I] wouldn’t be able to do it without them 100%.”

When Rodman was asked about the touch down, he mentioned the offensive line. Without the line and their efforts, he would not have been able to score the touchdowns. The line and Rodman had to have good teamwork and coordination for Rodman to score the four touchdowns.

“I think it probably could, or at least come close [to varsity’s teamwork] because we have a good team bond,” said Rodman. “Everyone’s great, good atmosphere” His teammates agreed with this statement. 

“He’s cool. He’s all around a great guy.” said teammate Ethan McCullough. “He’s really focused and knows what he’s doing. If you ask him about a job he normally knows. He’s a good leader on the team.” 

His coaches, a similar thing.

“Very nice kid. [He] does everything we ask him to do.” Varsity Coach Vernon said. “[He] treats people really well. Really good caliber, high character kid.” 

As coach Vernon watches the JV team for the kids he will train next year, he notices Rodman and his good personality. JV Coach Fox, the coach that works with Dylan personally, restates the same. 

“I never noticed anything bad about his character at all,” said Fox “He’s shown me that he’s kind of a high character, especially in the locker room and on the field.”

Hearing these good things about him from his teammates and his coaches make Rodman happy. 

“I agree with everything they said,” said Rodman. “You know it makes me feel appreciated to hear everything that the coaches and my teammates said.” 

Rodman, like most people, works harder to get better at his hobby. So getting a loss can not be the best feeling. On Sept. 16, The Rochester JV team had a home game loss against Adams. 

“I mean we worked so hard all week and just coming out and losing is hard,” said Rodman. “I think it really helped motivate us and it made us work harder so we could bounce back and get a win the next week.” 

Rodman mentioned how, like all the other players, he was left frustrated about the game. With all the hype leading up to that game, and the chance to redeem themselves from the loss against Stoney Creek, there was a lot riding on their backs. 

“[I] wish we could get that game back,” said Rodman, “ but we’ve just got to keep moving forward and working to get better.” And they did, winning the following two games and making them four wins and two losses

On Oct. 12, the JV team had an away game against Oak Park, which resulted in a loss.

“Yeah, I  think we will come out on top in tomorrow’s game,” said Rodman, days before the game.  

When asked about what Rodman thought happened to result in the loss, he said that he thinks they felt intimidated by their size and that after realizing they didn’t need to be intimidated, they were able to hold them off from Oak Park scoring.

Outside of football, Dylan leads a simple life. He likes to relax when he can, and play video games. He hangs out with his friends often. Overall, Dylan is an active person. In the spring he does the sprinting side of track, in the summer he does morning football practices, and in the fall it is football season. He also likes to go on walks, runs, and bike rides. In practices and conditions, he tries his best to better himself and his teammates.

Overall, said by others and himself, Dylan Rodman is portrayed as a good man with a great character. One who is liked by his teammates and coaches, who is trusted to get the job done when needed. One who, when gets a loss, expects to learn and grow from it.