Cross country team prepares for Kensington meet

The cross country team has been preparing for months for the meet at Kensington on Saturday, Sept. 27. The Falcons will be racing to place at the county meet just hours before Homecoming. Junior Emily Kowalczyk could not be more excited and nervous to run varsity this Saturday.

“I get anxious before I run because you want to get a time you’re proud of and impress your coach,” Kowalczyk said. “And most importantly you want to get it over with.”

Head coach and social studies teacher Mr. Larry Adams describes his expectations.

“We are battling some injuries so I’m not sure of my team goals, but I would like to see each one improve their times,” Mr. Adams said.

Sophomore Erin Eyler knows what it’s like to attend a meet with an injury.

“You feel disappointed because if you do run, you won’t run to your full potential, and when you don’t run, there’s not much you can do at all,” Eyler said. “At the same time, it’s a good opportunity to cheer for your own age group since most of the time you’re running with them.”

The course itself is known for being challenging.

“It’s definitely not the easiest coarse because there’s lots of hills, not a personal record course, yet a very competitive course,” Kowalczyk said.

Senior Allison Skelcy enjoys the challenge of a course like Kensington.

“I like it because it’s an easy course to make moves on and be aggressive,” Skelcy said.

Many of the athletes will have more than the meet on their minds, as homecoming will take place that evening.

“The meet definitely gives you less time to get ready for homecoming and conflicts with hair and nail appointments,” Kowalczyk said. “Everything has to be planned accordingly. You are very tired after a long day.”

Homecoming definitely may be on the minds of the athletes, but it will be not coming form their lips.

“I don’t allow homecoming chatter on Saturday until after they race,” Mr. Adams said.

Though balancing homecoming and the race can be a struggle, Kowalczyk said she wouldn’t have it any other way.

“Running a race is very hard work, but in the end it’s all worth it,” Kowalczyk said.