Senior Column: And it shows when we stand hand in hand

Carly Craig, News Editor

It all started the first day of freshmen year. I forgot to put on deodorant, my locker jammed and I spent lunch crying in a bathroom stall on the phone with my mom. This would be a rocky start to the four years of high school that would have its fair share of highs and lows.

Between losing friends, making new ones, and getting stood up for homecoming, freshman year was a rough transition period. I was a timid freshman who didn’t have many friends and wasn’t sure who I’d be yet. I decided to try out for the fall musical, “In the Heights”. Auditions were the scariest moment of my life that I had experienced up until that point. After making it through auditions, I realized that like high school, life was about faking it until you make it. Lucky enough for me, I made the cast. Although I only participated in the musicals, it helped me come out of my shell and gain some friends that I couldn’t have made it through high school without.

Sophomore year I was still slightly of introverted.  My friend group was rearranging and yet again, I didn’t know where I fit. I got very good at blending in with whoever was around at the time so I didn’t feel outcasted. The musical that year was “Grease”, and was one of my favorite parts of high school. “Grease” is my favorite musical, and it was a blast to be able to be a part of it. I was on the yearbook staff, which introduced me to journalism. After one year on yearbook, I decided I was tired of it being a popularity contest and went to the Talon.

Junior year when I was on the Talon Staff, I became close with a lot of the other members. The family I made in the Talon was my backbone to get through what would be the hardest year of my life. Things were rearranging again. I was drowning in SAT prep, and yet again didn’t know where I fit in. The events that were unfolding in front of me felt as though life kept kicking me down, no matter how many attempts I made at getting up. I was at the lowest point in my life. I relied on the wrong people for support, and felt myself sinking lower.

I went into senior year with a new mindset. I got more involved with the school and decided that I was going to make the most of my last year of high school. One of the best parts of the year was football season. Although we didn’t have our home stadium, I went to almost every game. For the first time in all of high school I finally felt that I fit somewhere. Being a senior ambassador, I was required to dress up for the spirit days and attend events I wouldn’t normally go to. Exploring outside my comfort zone was one of the best things for me. However, as the year continued, I realized that I was surrounding myself with people who didn’t make me feel good about myself. One of the hardest things I had to do was walk away. I realized the people who cared about me and reconnected with old friends. Although it’s had its trials, senior year was definitely the best year of high school. I finally became comfortable with who I am, and recognized what I deserve.

High school had its ups and downs, and more often than not it wasn’t fun. Given the opportunity, I wouldn’t do it over again. However, I wouldn’t change anything I did, either. Growth is important, and the last four years have been good for me. Ending high school will be bitter sweet, but I’m thankful for the opportunities I’ve been given.