Students and an orthodontist discuss the pros and cons of braces vs. Invisalign

Sophomore+Julia+LaTrouno+has+had+braces+for+six+months%2C+and+still+isnt+used+to+the+metal+plastered+on+her+teeth.+

Sophomore Julia LaTrouno has had braces for six months, and still isn’t used to the metal plastered on her teeth.

Victoria Wendt

Sophomore Julia LaTrouno picks the spinach out of her braces after she eats a healthy salad during third lunch. A few month ago she didn’t have to deal with the constant struggle of having a brace face, but she did have to deal with her biggest insecurity: her teeth.

“Braces make me feel sad and ugly, but in a few years, my smile will be improved and so will my confidence,” LaTrouno said.  

LaTrouno has had braces for six months, and although she is seeing positive results, she feels Invisalign might have been less of a hassle, and a better choice for her.

While many students may prefer the clear aligner retainers that Invisalign offers, orthodontist Dr. Robert G. Hubbard of Rochester Hills says that braces may be a better choice for many teens.

“I don’t like the fact that you can lose the clear aligner trays during Invisalign straightening or if you don’t wear them, they are expensive to replace,” Dr. Hubbard said.

Dr. Hubbard believes both are great in getting the pesky job done. He does however, think that different patients require different cases when it comes to choosing between either braces or Invisalign.

“Invisalign takes the same amount of time, and does the same job that braces do, but you can’t see it,” freshmen Alexandra Maxim said.

Every time Maxim sits down for a snack or any meal, she has to pull out her bright red retainer case and peel the slimy pieces of plastic from her teeth. She says it’s a bit annoying, but she doesn’t think it’s as bad as having to shove a pick-comb between her braces after every meal.

Dr. Hubbard disagrees, saying braces are slightly more effective, in his opinion.

“Braces are attached to each and every tooth, and in my opinion, are more accurate, especially when correcting an overbite or underbite,” Dr. Hubbard said. “Invisalign works more with minor tooth movements.”

When it comes down to it, Dr. Hubbard puts more focus on the right case for his patients teeth requirements. He says he thinks in the future about a patient’s teeth in order to get the perfect end result. 

“Everyone makes braces out to be a big deal, but if you brush your teeth twice a day, it’s really not that big of an issue,” junior Nicolette Dedvukaj said.

Dedvukaj has had braces since middle school, and just recently got them off. She’s come to realize that braces are something that a majority of people go through. Looking back on her experience, Dedvukaj is happy with her results and is glad that she chose braces.

“I always lose my Invisalign and I don’t wear them because it’s too big of a problem,”sophomore Julian Karagounis said. “I don’t even know where they are right now; I think they’re in Mexico. They make my mouth feel really gross as well.”

Karagounis has had invisalign for five months and is already too annoyed to wear them. He doesn’t like the unnatural feel of the plastic on his teeth, the embarrassment of removing them in front of friends during lunch and the look of shiny teeth.

Sophomore Aiden Gallacher disagrees and says that he prefers Invisalign.

“I’ve had both, and I can say that Invisalign is way more comfortable and isn’t as painful as braces are,” Gallacher said.  

Dr. Hubbard says no matter what option patients use, if they follow instructions and upkeep, they’re likely to have a positive result.

“I love them both,” Dr. Hubbard said. “They both do a great job when the case is chosen properly.”