Students discuss their stress levels

Connor Bulka

It’s 2:00 a.m. on a Tuesday night and junior Sarah Schneider is feeling overwhelmed with her assignment. Not only is Sarah stressed, but almost half of all high school students in America said they feel stressed from their after school workloads, according to the American Psychological Association.

Many times the stress these students suffer from is caused by after school activities like sports or clubs consuming there time after school.

Junior Megan Nakoneczny explains how after school activities like sports and clubs can interfere and cause stress. Many times the only time students will get to finish school work or study is late at night or during school.

“I do believe that students stress and anxiety are increasing because the amount of after school activities like sports are also increasing,” Nakoneczny said.

Principal Mr. Neil DeLuca talks about how there are small things in the community and school that are provided to help with the stresses of being a student.

“I think we try as a school and a community to keep it light as regards to their lunchtime and their activities that they do,” Mr. DeLuca said. “We try to communicate effectively to them and let them know dates and expectations of students.”

Mr. DeLuca continues about how he sees more stress towards the juniors and seniors.

“I think that as you go along in high school, I do see stress to start building, especially with the 11th and 12th graders,” Mr. DeLuca said.

Although there are several things that the community and staff try to help with the work, Nakoneczny still believes there are better, direct options they can use.

“I feel like teachers could give students more time to do assignments because some due dates are unrealistic when you have sports or extracurricular after school,” Nakoneczny said.

Mr. DeLuca explains that there are specific options that students have if they are feeling stressed out with their responsibilities regarding school or home life.

“We have a school psychologist and social worker that can help cope or alleviate stress in some sort,” Mr. DeLuca said. “The counselor’s office is always open and our counselors are always willing to come and work with any student who feels above and beyond any kind of level of stress they have partaken in.”

Students, like Schneider, believe that regardless of the programs and resources we have in place, there are still issues that won’t  be resolved.

“The school loads are definitely getting more intense,” Schneider said. “I think homework is major cause for stress, along with the fact that just one test can determine our future.”