Beyonce’s scholarships for women

Beyonces scholarships for women

Mackenzie Lovell, Staff Writer

The singer, songwriter and actor Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter may be known for her famous melodies and lyrics, but she’s also known for the empowerment she has instilled in young women.

Recently the artist has released a group of scholarships titled the “Formation Scholars” awards. The purpose of these scholarships is “to encourage and support young women who are unafraid to think outside the box and are bold, creative, conscious and confident,” according to NPR. 

These scholarships are aimed towards women who are studying creative arts, music, literature or African American studies. 

Maybe some girls are interested in the arts who can’t afford to go to proper colleges to follow their dreams [will be helped by the scholarships],” said Freshman Anjali Antani. “Scholarships will help them unlock their full potential.”

The recipients of the award would be going to any of the following Universities: The Berkeley College of Music, Howard University, Parsons School of Design  and  Spelman College.  

With all of the money celebrities such as Beyoncé earn annually, freshman Talia Bowes wonders if more celebrities could create programs like this one to help students. 

“If everyone with the money to be able to do so, just used their money to help people with big dreams but not as big wallets, that would be a world I’d want to live in,” said Bowes.