Senior Column: Make our dreams come true

Zippy Tiller, Staff Writer

If I were to travel all the way back to freshmen year and tell freshmen Tziporah that she will end high school with a group of friends that truly brighten her day everyday, have more self-confidence, and will actually miss Rochester High School, she would probably laugh in my face and say “That’s what dreams are made of.”

We never believe past seniors when they say time flies and to take the time to remember high school; however, the rumor is true. These past four years have flown by so quickly it truly feels like it was just yesterday when I was a nervous freshmen, worried about whether or not I would fit in or if my friends would still surround me by the time I reached senior year.

High school truly is the first stage of growth in one’s life. I have changed so much through the years for the better. My self confidence has grown and I am no longer afraid to speak what is on my mind, no matter how unconventional my opinion may be. At the beginning of high school, I struggled with accepting the fact that I am naturally shy or introverted. I tried being more outgoing, psyching myself out whenever I did not live up to the image I made in my head of the type of person I should be. But now, I love the fact that I don’t have to be the center of attention at all times and that I am more reserved when I want to be; this quality is what makes me who I am. Forget making new friends, going to football games or being stressed out by the SAT and AP tests. What high school is really all about is finding yourself, loving yourself and accepting yourself. I owe this transformation not only to myself but to the wonderful people I have surrounded myself with, so I would just like to thank a few of the many people who have helped me along this journey.

Thank you to Nino, my moonchild. We may be going to rival schools but I think we’ll survive this. If I’m being honest, you rival my mom in always knowing exactly what to say when I come to you. Thank you for all the laughs, for listening to me when I rant, no matter how stupid they are. I will always have a place in my heart for my favorite bridesmaid of color. I love you and you’ve made me a better person.

Thank you to Carly. Where do I honestly begin? Thank you for always listening to me, thank you for your crocs, thank you for your unique sense of humor. Just thank you for being my friend, and whether you like it or not, we are going to be friends for a very long time, so good luck in trying to get rid of me. I love you and you’ve made me a better person.

Thank you to Hiba. Who knows where we would be today if we hadn’t sat in awkward silence in your basement for an hour after our first APUSH project. I love how your version of affection is whenever I rant to you about something, you manage to be more angry about said rant, person, whatever than I am. I love you and you’ve made me a better person.

Thank you to Mrudula and Taylor. I of course have to put you two together because you annoy me on equal levels. In all seriousness, thank you for allowing me to loosen up and just have fun. You two have taught me how to not care what other people think of me, and if anybody has anything to say about it just start a rumor about the what they like to do for fun (you know who I’m talking about). I love you and you’ve made me a better person.

The past four years at RHS have been exciting, dramatic, and bittersweet; I will carry the memories I have developed at Rochester High for the rest of my life. However, I am ready to move into the next chapter and embrace the fun new memories I will create during college, my twenties, thirties and so on.

Remember to stay fresh to death, hydrate yourselves and don’t give these boys a second of your time.