RHS Students Volunteer at the Ninth Annual Brooksie Way

Elizabeth Bulat, Staff Writer

Rochester High School students took part in the ninth annual Brooksie Way Half Marathon, 10k and 5k race in Rochester on Sept. 24. The races started and finished at Oakland University, cutting through Rochester’s trails and roads.

The RHS cross country team volunteered this year at the starting line like they have for the past few years. The team agrees that it is important to be involved in community events to help them go smoothly. Many RHS athletes, like junior cross country runner Claire Gleason, also hope to run the half marathon in the future.

“We volunteer here so we can give back to our community,” Gleason said. “Since we run, it’s good to help out with similar events.”

Participants and RHS parents express delight in seeing RHS students and staff at the race. Hal Commerson, an eight-time Brooksie Way Half Marathon runner and former RHS teacher and coach, admits it motivates him to see Rochester’s presence at the race.

“I love seeing so many former students and athletes running the races and saying hi before or after,” Mr. Commerson said. “I get a great deal of satisfaction from knowing I may have helped some of those people by motivating them to try running.”

Additionally, the Falcon Marching Band drum line played during the race. The drum line had performed at the race for the past few years, and was asked to play again this year. The drum line enjoys helping the community and encouraging runners during the race.

“I really enjoy when the staff comes by and tells you ‘thank you,’” senior drum line member Reed Williams said. “It’s really fun to make people laugh and smile, especially when they are doing something like running.”