Senior Column: What really matters

Maria Broecker, Opinion Editor

High school is everything I thought it would be, but also nothing like I expected. What is the high school dream?

As a freshman I was naive and wanted everything the average freshman wants, to be involved in every club, for senior boys to notice me, to make varsity soccer and to live the high school dream.

As a sophomore, I had the best boyfriend, wanted to attend every party, and hoped to get a soccer scholarship to a D1 school.

As a junior I wanted to ace the ACT along with AP tests, win a State Cup Championship and become an active member on the newspaper Staff.

As a senior I wanted participate in every sporting event and spirit week, dress cute everyday, win soccer districts, and make the best of every moment.

These goals represent the visual representation of what was occurring in my life, but not what internally was going on in my life.

I struggled on and off through high school, because I didn’t understand my real self, or who I wanted to be. It was a mixture of trying to fit in, trying to be everything I thought I should be, and trying to impress everyone.

High school was a time where I realized what true qualities were. The qualities I wanted, I saw through my dedicated parents, amazing friends and supportive teachers. It was through them, whom I looked to, that these real qualities rubbed off on me. Qualities of hard work, integrity, motivation and kindness. And I’m still learning more.

As the years changed, so did my views on everything. I realized what I wanted was a fantasy, and what I grew up to be, was a reality. Growing up for me meant it wasn’t always about the clothes and hair or how many parties I went to. It didn’t matter if I was in the “popular group” or if my Instagram photo had over 100 likes.

It became more and more about what I brought to the table and if I was happy with myself. I learned that nothing but the work I put in defines me.

At a young time in high school, I realized my passion was to be a journalist. Being on the yearbook and The Talon staffs allowed me to grow as a writer, designer and leader. Participating and contributing to a staff lead me in the direction of outstanding leadership skills, which helped me grow as a person.

Thank you to outstanding teachers, supporters, friends, and my family — not sure where I would be without you.

So as I move into the real world, I take the lessons not only learned on the smartboard or in my notes, but the lessons my role models taught me, and most of all the experiences I am so grateful to have experienced with my parents.